Resources for Pride Month
its pride month! and as a collective with many queer members, we thought it was only right to make something to celebrate! this is a list of resources for prIDE month - including people to follow, podcasts, performers and performances, sober queer spaces, books and general online reading, as well as organisations that you can support or that can support you. This list is a mixture of theatre related and non-theatre related things, and we hope that it will be useful to everyone in some way. It is of course important to recognise the importance of intersectionality when it comes to conversations about Lgbtq+ rights, and we have endeavoured to include as much representation of this as possible . We'd really love to receive feedback and suggestions of things to add to this list - if you'd like to make a suggestion, you can contact us here or ON ANY of our social media pages. Happy pride month!
(scroll down to read the full list, or use the sidebar to go to specifIc sections!)
People to follow
- Eva Bloom (@whatismybodydoing) - a LGBTQ+ sex educator
- wednesday holmes (@hellomynameiswednesday) - a non-binary artist who makes cute comics about queerness
- Maya (@molecularmaven) - a female biologist discussing being a queer woman in science.
- Ericka Hart (@ihartericka) - an advocate for the acknowledgement of queer and black experiences in cancer treatment.
- Stevie Boebi - videos about lesbian sex education and teenage homelessness
- Jackson Bird - a trans writer and activist making "lgbtq+ videos that make you think"
- Rowan Ellis - videos about pop culture from a feminist and queer perspective
- Jameela Jamil - a youtube channel with some excellent interviews about queer experiences - notably this interview with Sam Smith and this interview with Beanie Feldstein.
Other Youtube Resources
- this video on how to be a better ally
- Extreme(ly) queer muslims - a video series featuring queer muslim voices.
- this video on what compulsory heterosexuality is and why it is bad.
- autostraddle - an blog website/community for queer women
- AZ Magazine - a magazine for queer ethnic minorities.
- The Hormone Diaries - A podcast about sex hosted by Hannah Witton with many episodes about queer experiences.
- Queer as Fact - queer history podcast
- I Weigh - A podcast hosted by Jameela Jamil with a recent episode focusing on trans rights
- Dyking Out - a lesbian and lagbtq podcast for everyone, hosted by carolyn bergier and melody kamali
- the meg-john and justin podcast - an intersectional and refLective sex and relationships podcast
Performers and performances
- Travis Alabanza - a queer artist, performer and writer
- teddy lamb - A non-binary writer and performer based in East London
- The elephant in the closet theatre company - queer comedy shows
- 'what’s good party’ - an online queer party produced and hosted by drag artist Shakona FIre
- Soroya Marchelle has been hosting their online drag show, ‘hi guys it’s me’ - click the link for more info
- The coccoa butter club - A Cabaret Collective dedicated to showcasing & celebrating performers of colour, currently hosting instagram live lessons on various performer skills
Sober queer spaces
- Salsa Rosada - LGBTQ+ salsa classes
- Queer Culture Club - an inclusive queer collective in london
to FInd spaces and events in your area, you can use this search tool on the stonewall website
organisations (that you can help or that can help you!)
- pop n' olly - an organisation providing educational resources on lgbtq+ relationships for kids
- this master list contains organisations that help queer ethnic minorities, and can be sorted by location
- AKT - provide LGBTQ+ people with help with housing
- Kaleidoscope - working to uphold human rights for LGBTq+ people around the world
- Just like us - encouraging young lgbtq+ people to be role models in their schools
Mental Health Resources
- Mindline Trans+ - 03003305468
- LGBT Switchboard - 03003300630
Things to Read
- Boy Meets Boy - David Levithan
- Rubyfruit Jungle - Rita Mae Brown
- The Song of Achilles - Madeline Miller
- Girl Meets Boy - Ali Smith
- Her Body and Other Parties - Carmen Maria Machado
- Rainbow Milk - Paul Mendez
- Felix Ever-After - Kacen Callender
- Lets talk about love - claire kann
- Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? - Jeanette Winterson
- Gay Berlin - Robert Beachy
- An Underground Life - Memories of a Gay Jew in Nazi Berlin - Gad Beck
- The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister - Anne Lister
- The Argonauts - Maggie Nelson
- I am your Sister - Audre Lorde
- The Gender Games - Juno Dawson
- Uncomfortable Labels - Laura Kate Dale
- Running Up on the Wires - Kate Tempest
- Love Poem - Audre Lorde
- A Letter to White Queers, A Letter to Myself - Andrea Gibson
- Not Me - Eileen Myles
- Last Summer at BluefIsh Cove - Jane Chambers
- Neaptide - Sarah Daniels
- Eve - Jo Clifford
- Five Trailblazers You Should Know: Pride Edition - an educational resource about black LGBTQ+ fIgures.
- queering theatre criticism - an essay about how journalists should approach theatre about queer stories
We hope you've enjoyed this list and that it's been useful to you in some way! you can view our previous list on resources for the pandemic here. Next months list will be on being an activist and making activist theatre, and if you'd like to be the fIrst to know when it's ready, you can sign up to our mailing list!